Truro firefighters have urged people to isolate their cookers when leaving their properties after they were called out to a kitchen fire believed to have been started by a pet dog.

The dog had to be rescued by firefighters from Truro's Orange Watch after neighbours heard the smoke alarm going.

They believe the animal accidentally turned on the hob while jumping up for food while the owner was out.

Truro Community Fire Station said: “Please consider isolating your cooker when leaving your property or at night to avoid any accidents with pets happening and never leave any items on your cooker hob.”

The fire service are also urging people to make sure they have working smoke alarms.