RESIDENTS took to a busy road last week to celebrate saving a pedestrian island which was due to be removed from Penryn’s Commercial Road, while protesting about a reduction in other traffic calming measures which were originally proposed.
Pedestrians gathered last Friday to cross together “safely” at the traffic island between the Job Centre and Bango Kitchen on the busy road. The island had been scheduled to be removed under recent reductions in ‘active travel’ plans, which have also shelved what they say were long-awaited traffic calming measures and pedestrian-friendly street planning on Commercial Road.
We understand the council wants to remove a planned new crossing outside Macsalvors @ The Boathouse shop, which was originally mooted as part of the ‘active travel’ project.
The plans were part of the £56.8m Mid Cornwall Metro scheme, which has been largely funded through the Government’s Levelling Up Fund. Rail improvements to be delivered through the scheme include a direct hourly train service connecting Falmouth, Penryn, Truro, St Austell, Par and Newquay.
A key feature of the programme was improving accessibility to Penryn and other train stations on the route by sustainable, active means – by foot and by cycle. The demonstrators said respondents had highlighted the need for speed reduction, an extra crossing and a pavement on the north side of the road.
“We hope to highlight the quiet majority who had welcomed the measures before a small and vocal minority scuppered them,” said organiser Andrew Marston. “The shops and buildings along Commercial Road have changed the area enormously – there is such a great variety on offer – and the road infrastructure needs to reflect this.”
We understand Penryn Town Council is writing a letter of complaint to Cornwall Council about the ‘active travel’ plans being watered down.
The proposed changes to enable people to walk and cycle more easily on Commercial Road went on show at the Fish Factory venue a year ago, giving members of the public and businesses a chance to have see the plans before they were given the green light.
They included losing parking spaces, restricting waiting times, installing loading bays, improving cycle lanes and pedestrian crossings, installing street furniture and planting trees.
However, after a second engagement process last July led to “negative feedback”, plans were not taken forward. We contacted Cornwall Council to ask for its reaction to the protest and the town council’s concerns.
A spokesperson said: “Following several public and business engagement events on the proposals for Commercial Road and Penryn town centre, part of the Mid Cornwall Metro scheme, officers have agreed to meet with the elected member and town councillors to hear their concerns about the reduction in active travel measures.
“As part of the planning process, this scheme will now proceed to the next stage which is the formal Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) that will open next month. This is a further opportunity for the community to engage in consultation ahead of construction.





Comments
This article has no comments yet. Be the first to leave a comment.