Firefighters have issued a ‘get out, stay out’ message after a fire caused by a lithium-ion battery.

Crews from Fowey and St Austell were called to the house fire near Fowey at just before 10am on Thursday.

They found the fire had been put out by the occupant who was suffering from slight smoke inhalation.

Following the incident, a Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “If there is a fire in your home, you need to leave the building immediately closing doors and windows where safe do so.

“When you are safely outside, dial 999 and ask for the fire service. Never re-enter a building on fire, even if you think it is only for a short period. Fire can behave in different ways in different environments, and the situation can change very quickly.”

A different approach is needed though if, due to heat, smoke or flames, you are unable to leave your home. Choose a room that you can go in, block out the smoke and call for help.

In a separate incident, crews from St Dennis responded to a chimney fire in their village.

They used a stirrup pump and chimney rods to extinguish the fire at a Hendra Road property last Tuesday evening.